Monday, September 14, 2009

La Multi Ani

My dearest family and friends and everyone,
How are you? I am doing amazingly.

This week was a really good one. On Saturday the baptism went great. Cristina was a little nervous, but she was so happy, and all went well. She even brought a friend of hers who said she's not interested to learn more, but is curious enough that she'll come to church in a few weeks after she finishes a project of some sort. So that's cool.

I gave a talk on the Holy Ghost and why it is such an amazing gift, and because other things fell through I also did the special musical number and I played the hymn arrangement with the Savior songs that Mom picked out - you know which one I'm talking about. But everything went great.





The turn out at the baptism was mostly from our English students - there were only about 5 members there and 30 people there all together, and a lot of that number was made up by investigators too which is always exciting.

But she is sooo happy and she gave a really sweet testimony at the end about how God helped her to make this choice, and how she knows that He'll continue to help her in this gospel, and she knows it's true and that because she has the gospel in her life that she will be happier. It was awesome.

And we got some baptismal dates with Elena and Marian her son. Catalina, the daughter, doesn't want to get baptized yet. She says she doesn't like the Book of Mormon, but it's because she's not used to it or "obisnuita" is the word she used, but she came to the baptism with her mom and brother and she sat outside on the couch during the talks and such to read the Joseph Smith pliant, the Gospel pliant, and started the Book of Mormon a little bit. She also said she really liked the ceremony part of the baptism "it was simple, but pretty" she said. I think she'll catch on quick to the desire that her mom and brother have to become a part of the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ and to come closer to God. Their dad might take a little longer, but I think that if he comes to their baptism on the 26th, there will be no more doubt with him wanting to take the lessons and to join his family.

It's funny because Elena tells her husband every time, "hai, si tu!" come on, you too! and he just says ok, ok, I'll catch up later. And I really think that he will. Last night we were out bloc knocking, and we met this cool guy in his 80s named Dumitru. Cutest old man ever! He got off subject so much telling us stories and helping us understand why he thinks certain things about God and religion, and then when we finally were able to get a word in he said "da! te ascult" or Yes, I'm listening to you. And then he was so attentive until we mentioned something that reminded him of another story. But it was fun teaching him - he gave us some raspberry jam that he had made and it is really good, and I don't know if he'll catch on to the message that we have for him, but we're still trying

And I know you're all dying to know how my birthday went - and it was AMAZING! On Tuesday we have English class, and my class put on a huge celebration for me. Mariana, the loud crazy lady that I have a love/hate relationship with, was the founder of it. Apparently she found out it was my birthday, called our whole class and put on a party for me. She put balloons up, wrote birthday messages for me on the chalk board, lit candles around the room, and covered the floor with rose pedals. She also got me chocolate, a huge 3 liter thing of Pepsi (which is better than the wine she's given us missionaries as gifts the past 2 occasions) and a box of chocolates to share with the whole world, along with a stuffed stag from the "stag of gold" festival that's been going on lately. There's a sound button in the stag that sounds like a baby dinosaur. So funny.

So she gathers our class together to take a picture and positions me on how to hold my flower and the stag, Sora Campbell takes a picture and then Mariana lights a firework in the church building for Sora Campbell to take another picture. Yes, a firework. (If you don't believe me, look at the pictures - Mariana is the bigger lady behind me with reddish hair) And then shoves the firework in my hand for a solo picture, then grabs my camera from Sora Campbell and pushes her to be in my picture. She's crazy and I was laughing sooo hard. Veronica bought me chocolates and Isabella gave me a skirt that is really pretty - very Romanian, and Audi says it makes me "batrana" or old, but everyone else seems to like it lol. And then they sang La Multi Ani. After the spiritual thought Mariana told me it was an obligation I had to play the piano for everyone, so then I had to perform. But it was good.









After that exciting day, I didn't even know what to expect on my real birthday, but it was good. Sora Campbell made me banana clatite for breakfast (something in the middle of a crepe and a pancake) and I got a lot of texts from the members saying happy birthday, and Audi called me at 12:00 midnight which is something they do here in Romania to wish me happy birthday - I was so tired, and she laughed at me, but it was fun. She also bought me a present, and when we went over to her house for a lesson, she put on "happy birthday" by New Kids on the Block because she says she doesn't have a voice for singing and gave me a necklace and a children's Romanian story book. It was awesome.

Other than that we had a service project, and a lot of contacting that we did which was fun, Oh, and President Lundberg and his family called me and sang me a version of Happy Birthday that was really fun but that I had never heard before. All in all, it was an amazing day. (And no, I didn't get the package. It might have gotten there on time, but the Assistants and President were on tour so they didn't have a chance to go to Buc to pick it up. So I'll get it in the future and it will be my birthday again! Yay!)

Also, on the 12th it was Audi's birthday, but we had the baptism, and so Alina put together a surprise birthday party for her on Friday, and it was so fun. She turned 29, and this is the first party she has ever had in her life for her birthday. She was so surprised, and she loved it. It went very well, much to the stress of Alina who was sooo nervous. It was funny. But it went well.
And now for the suspenseful moment...transfer board. Duh du du duhhhhh! I am getting transfered to Sibiu!!! You don't know what that means. Sibiu until now has only ever had 2 elders there, never sisters, and never more than 2 (one companionship) which means that I am opening an area for sisters, and I'm going to be with Sora Staley who is one of my sisters!!! (meaning that we all had the same person who trained us at different times.) I served with Sora Jones last transfer, also one of my sisters (I have 3 sisters in the mission) and so this is going to be crazy and I am so excited. I'm really sad to leave Brasov, but I know that this next transfer is going to be an adventure! Also, for those who might be interested, they closed Timisoara to sisters and are also opening up Deva to sisters, which is in the same position as Sibiu, only ever having one companionship of Elders there. So this is exciting and it will be interesting. I leave and arrive on Wednesday, so next week you'll be hearing from me in a different city! Fun times w00t w00t!

Other than that, this week was great, next week will be great, and I love you all so so so very much! ttyl, Always, --Sora Karina

ps. Sora Thompson! Nu pot sa cred ca o sa merg la Sibiu! wow. Dar oricum, ce faci? Cum merge scoala? Sper ca totul merge bine pentru tine, si tu nu poti sa-mi spui ca crezi ca o sa te casatoresti fara detalii! Vreau sa stiu despre ce ati vorbit! Si, ce s-intemplat cu j.w. Stiu ca stii despre ce vorbesc. Nu o sa vad peste un ani si vreau sa stiu despre ce sa ma rog. Dar, fac bine, si sper ca tu faci bine deasemenea. Te iubesc atat de mult. Succes cu tot, si mai auzim! Te-am pupat! --Sora Karina

No comments:

Post a Comment