Monday, December 14, 2009

Snow!

Heres a pic of me trying to hang up the Romanian Christmas lights so you can see how confusing they are. They are just a big circle with only one plug.





This is me after contacting in the snow outside for an hour.



This is our view outside off our balcony the morning after the snow...so pretty!

Hello everyone! How are you doing? I'm doing great.
This week was full of adventure and good stories, and I'm sorry that I probably won't be able to tell you all of them, but I'll try. So first, transfers... Sora Kiriyama and I had a good beginning of the week, and then on Tuesday night we needed to go to Bucuresti for us to get our new companions and such. So we went to the auto gara, or the place where we pick up the bus to go to Buchurest. We were the first ones there, and the driver put our bags in the hold under the bus and we got on. Sora Kiriyama was paranoid about someone stealing her bags so she picked a window seat above the hold and voiced her determination to be aware of whatever could happen. I told her she shouldn't worry, no one would take her bags (in this time, the driver was standing outside of the bus kinda walking around waiting for more riders). She said "ok, but if someone does come, I'll run off the bus and tackle them." I reminded her of how she had tripped onto the bus moments before and that she would probably trip off the bus and land on her face and she laughingly agreed, and said " well, what would we do then?" and I said "fine, if someone steals your bags, I'll run off the bus and chase after him."
No sooner had I said that then someone came up to the bus having noticed that the driver was on the other side and not in sight. Sora Kiriyama said "Oh no! He's taking my bags!" I said, "No, he's not." and she said "Yes, It's happening! It's happening!" and I look out the window, and sure enough he's got her largest suitcase and is booking it away. So I ran off the bus and started chasing after him. He got about 10 yards away and heard me about 3 feet behind him so he turned to look which tripped him up, so he dropped the bag and kept running. I got her bag and ran to the bus with it where Sora Kiriyama was waiting watching the other bags in case there were more people in his group. Luckily, it was only him. I said a prayer of thanks for Heavenly Father's help, and then we laughed hysterically that we had JUST talked about it, and then it happened! So funny. We made tons of jokes to wear off the adrenaline about how it's a good thing we're missionaries who know how to plan well so that we can accomplish our goals, and how of course that would be the end of our transfer together and so on.
Needless to say, I stayed outside the bus until the cabs were closed and we left while she stayed on board to watch our carry-on bags/purses as people started boarding. It was an exciting experience. Then I told my zone leader at mission counsel the next day what had happened cuz I knew he would laugh, and not 1/2hour later, somehow in the story amongst the zone leaders I had num-chucks and brass knuckles...I don't know how that happened, but it was really funny. Anyways, we were fine, and the Lord helped us, and know we know to be better prepared. All is well.
Anyways, about the work, we still haven't managed to get a baptismal date for Ion. he's just so stubborn, and gets caught up on the little things. We have talked so much with him about faith, action, praying to know the truth, and the Book of Mormon. He believes the Book of Mormon is a good book, and maybe even that it's true he just won't admit it, and doesn't understand the need to change his life for it. I am positive that it will happen, but he might be one of those people that just takes a while of learning and having spiritual experiences, and then one day just wakes up and says, "hm, I should get baptised" and then does it. We're still trying, but forcefull and pushy action is not a good idea. We are praying fervently always for the Lord's help and inspiration to know what he needs and how we can help him come closer to the Savior and to have a stronger conviction/desire to do what is right. We are praying that he will get baptized this Saturday before Christmas if he is prepared, and we are sure that the Lord will help it happen. If it doesn't, I am confident that there will be a miracle in there somewhere even in his amount of progress even if that's not baptism. Realistic, but still with a higher vision.
We found 2 new investigators this week, and it's just always fun to find people to teach. I am having a blast with Sora Owen. She's awesome. She's been in the country for 3 months and is from Maine. We are contacting in freezing cold weather, and somehow still finding success. Even in the snow that happened, that's right, IT SNOWED!!! I was so excited. The wind makes it freezing, and it's great. We are very much looking forward to the transfer to see what this amazing time of year can bring.
One fun story is that a Muslim family actually let us in while we were bloc knocking...they don't speak any Romanian and the husband kind of speaks English so it was interresting, but they were so nice and open, and it was just a great opportunity to set aside differences and testify of what we know to be true. And they gave us turkish delight. The only time I've ever known about it is from the Chronicles of Narnia, but they served some to us, and I told them that it was delicious so they gave us a box for Christmas! Now we will be eating Turkish Delight on Christmas, so fun. Oh, and we decorated for Christmas this week! It is so much fun improvising on the things that they just don't have here in Romania. Dad, you'll laugh at this- the way Romanian Christmas lights work is they have a string of lights which is really just a circle that connects to only one plug. No inlet, only an outlet and it's all connected into one circle. I don't know why or how it's supposed to work, but that's what they do.
And I got your package, and Cherisse and Alley's package which is good, thank you so much! We have a little Christmas corner in our house with our presents stacked up and such and it's awesome...feels so much like Christmas and we're having fun. I love listening to your tape that you sent me...I haven't finished it yet, but I have laughed so hard and it's awesome. And Jenna, it did work to listen to dad through mom's phone...it was quieter, but I heard it and it was awesome, thanks. And I'm loving the stories, and it's just a great pre-quil to Christmas!
Oh, and thank you so much Grandpa for your email! I loved it and love hearing from you. I'm glad that all is well and that you enjoy my letters...I enjoy writing them. Well, I know that there was more I wanted to write, but I forget now. I'll be sure to not forget my story list at home next week and I'll write them then. But the work is going great, I'm staying as warm as is possible and I'm loving what I'm doing. My companion is awesome, and this transfer is going to be great, I'm excited. I love you all so so very much, and I hope that all is well with you.
I would challenge you all to share the gospel, even if it's just through service, somehow this Christmas season. It would be a great gift to Christ if we could each share with someone what He gave to us. I love you all so very much, and I'll write more next week!
Love always, --Sora Karina


No comments:

Post a Comment