Monday, March 29, 2010

Orphanage in Galati

Hello everyone! How are you? I'm doing great.

It is currently raining out here in Galati, but it's better than the blizzards that you're getting back home, haha. Man, I don't miss the spring break blizzards, even though they can be really fun. But I'm enjoying my time here in the rain. It's quite refreshing actually.

This week went pretty well. Our investigators are doing well, still reading the word of the Lord, praying and seeking for the truth, and as we know the true point of all of this is, they are coming closer to Christ.

It is always such an amazing process, and it is one that I continually find needs to be renewed in my life. But that's how it should be I suppose.

We are preparing for Easter this weekend, which is going to be fun, and I'll tell you all about it next week.

As for this week, we went to an orphanage yesterday. It was so precious. It is the first time that I have had the opportunity to go since being here in Romania. The government has changed a lot of laws concerning orphanages, so it's not what you expect from the movie "Annie" or anything, but it's more like a forced commune where kids stay if their parents abandon them, or if their parents don't have enough money/stability to care for them, and they stay there until the state decides what to do with them - either they go to an orphan home where they await adoption (which almost never happens now because the law changed and they can't get adopted outside of Romania), they go to foster care, or they go back to their parents and eventually back to another "orphanage" facility.





The kids that we went to go visit yesterday were all within the ages of 8 and 14 or 15, and there were about 24 of them - they were so cute. We brought them treats and danced with them, and taught them games like "duck, duck, goose!" but I couldn't remember the word for goose, so instead we played "duck duck frog!" (rata, rata, broasca) and they loved it. Sora VanWagner is an artist, so she drew characature sketches of the kids - but she didn't get to finish so we're going back on Tuesday.



When we left some of the kids got tears in their eyes. It's not often that someone cares enough about them to become their friend within 2 hours. It took some of the kids a little time to open up to us - they've been so jaded by the world they couldn't trust that we were doing this for them, we had to be getting something out of it. And then others were just so excited for the relief of monotony that they jumped right in. And they treat each other like family. There are 2 workers there, and though there is no relation between them or the kids - they just work there - the kids call them mom and dad, and they are all brother and sister, even though some of them will only stay for a week, others for a few months. And for the most part, they take care of each other. It was quite a sight to see. They loved us taking pictures of them, and they wanted to take the pictures, so some of the pics I'm sending aren't great quality, but they show you the kids.




It was so much fun to be there and to show them that they are not forgotten - every child is a child of God, and He never forgets His children. It made me think of the song "Consider the Lilies" - consider the sweet tender children, how they suffer on the earth ...He clothes the lilies of the field, He feeds the lambs of His fold, and He will heed those who trust Him and make their hearts as gold". I know that He does this, and that not one of us is ever forgotten, not even the poor, suffering children in a small orphanage in Romania.




It is amazing how God's plan is so perfect that it encompasses all of us - every single one of us is included in His perfect plan of happiness and salvation, and it is truly amazing. I am so grateful that I have learned that. Because when you do, your perspective goes farther - instead of the "now" you think of the "forever" and how there is hope beyond tomorrow, and tomorrow just makes it seem that much better.

Ok, now for a fun Romanianism. When you say that you want to take a nap, you can say one of two things: I want a little sleep (vreau un pic de somn) or you can say what people usually say which is thus: vreau sa trag un pui de somn - I want to catch a chicken of sleep. Yes, they really say that, and it makes me laugh every time.

Other exciting news, I played a piano that actually has 88 keys this week - I haven't done that for about 7 or 8 months. It was weird, but very delightful. The problem is that I wasn't expecting to have such an opportunity, and lately I've been trying to learn how to keep my nails longer - long nails still don't work with piano playing. But it's ok. My technique has been bad for a while regardless how long my nails are lol! Anyways, I'm doing great, I love you all so so very much, and I will talk to you next week!

Have a great time. Love always, --Sora Karina








No comments:

Post a Comment