Monday, May 3, 2010

Happy Day!

Hey, everyone who is having a happy day out ther, (and all of you who aren't, you should fix that). Everyone should have a happy day, and I hope that you all are. But anyway, how are you? I'm doing great.

It's really windy here in Bucuresti, but that's ok because without the wind it would be really, really hot. And it will get even hotter, but that's all right. This week was a good one - full of wonderful stories, so here you go...

The knuckles/cigarette deal with Adrian is still going great. This week we are both having success in rejecting the "unrighteous" desires, so to speak. And the Lord is working miracles.

This week on Tuesday, Adrian called us to tell us that he was so so so sorry, but he had to work on Sunday, and he would try to get done as fast as he could, but he didn't think he would be able to be to church...maybe to choir practice after church. But he thought church would be out of the question. He called us the next day wanting to know if we thought he should go to church regardless of what his boss said. I told him not to put he job in jeopardy because that's not a good position to be in, but he also wants to keep the Sabbath day holy. I told him he would just have to use his best judgment. "No, help me!" he said. So I asked him what he thought. "Well, I think that I should tell my boss that I'm not ok with working on Sunday because I need to go to church, which I already told him. So, I think that if I respect what God wants, which is to go to church, then He'll help me, and I won't have to work on Sunday." That's exactly right.

This was his plan until Saturday when his boss told him that he HAD to work on Sunday, and in fact he needed to go to Ploiesti, which is a city about an hour outside of Bucuresti, to seal a contract deal or something. He was really sad and said he would still do as much as he could to get back as soon as possible, but the prospects weren't very good. He said that he would fast with us since it's the first Sunday of the month, and he needed help from God to stop smoking.

Sunday morning he texted us telling us that he was on his way to Ploiesti and that he had worked it out with the people in the workshop that he wouldn't have to do as much, which would give him maybe an extra hour. "So pray for me to get back fast." he said. Of course we did this, and about 30 minutes later he called us and asked, "Did you already pray for me?" "Yes", I replied. "Really?" "Yeah, of course, why" "Because I'm already on my way back to Bucuresti! The guy I was supposed to meet in Ploiesti called me to cancel and said that we don't need to have our meeting anymore, and I'm only about 30 minutes ouside of Bucuresti, so I should be there just in time for church to start!" Wow. He thanked me for praying for him, and I told him not to thank me. I had faith that God would do it, and He did. "So thank Heavenly Father, and I'm going to do that right now, too." And he said, "Yeah, I will do that now, too."

Sora Hupp and I were so excited and we prayed with thanks a million times yesterday for all the amazing things that happened.

Adrian got to church right before it started, the Spirit was SO strong, and all of the testimonies that were given were given from the heart, how they should be, and they were all amazing and touching. Classes went well. All three of our recent converts came to church, along with a less active lady that we are working with. The lored is so aware of this work and aware of our desires. It shows so nicely how when we have the desire to do what God asks of us, and when we do all that we can do, even if things get in the way (and Satan does try so hard to put things in the way) God helps us to succeed and accomplish those things that He asks. He has prepared the way, and we will go forward in strenth and joy.

Adrian loved church and stayed for choir practice. Even though he says he's not too confident with his singing, he is excited to sing with us for District Conference next week. (District Conference is the same as Stake Conference, except we don't have any stakes yet. But it will be fun.) And I absolutely love the truth that when you do the Lord's wil with your all, that is when you are truly happy. I see this in my life. When I try to do what the Lord wants - not because He wants it, but because I want to do it, - I am happier than if I would have done something else. Ok, maybe that sentence doesn't make too much sense, but hopefully you understand.

Sora Hupp is still experimenting away with her food - along to pate and rice (sounds yummy, doesn't it? -shaking head cuz I didn't want to try it - lol.) But she's even got me experimenting now. This week we created a meal that was actually quite delicious. Pour out a can of baked beans into the pan on the stove and add a can of hal-drained cut pineappple. Turn the heat on and add pieces of ham, already cooked rice, and just keep mixing it until it is warm. Then add a decent amount of whipped cream (yes, like you would find in a can and put on a pie- put it in there) until it is well mixed. Then you dish it up on the plate and place a healthy amount of grated cheese on top. It is quite delicious, and fills you up really nicely -it kept me going for most of my fast. If you have the daring boldness to try, let me know if you like it. We also thought that if we had them, it would have been good to add green onions or chunks of green bell pepper. Alas, that will have to be tried another day because we didn't have any. But it was fun and yummy - the best combination.

This week on Saturday was institute, or a youth activity program and it was fun. We didn't go to the lesson part, but we showed up in time for the activity (good timing) which was volley ball. We were havingfun doing awful at the game, but that's usually how it goes, and it's still really fun that way. Even though I think of what Shaley would think when I try to set the ball (and I can picture her shaking her head because I have no idea what I'm doing). But that's ok.

Anyways, there is this girl in our branch named Gabi, and she has a physical handicap and has to walk with braces (or chruches or whatever they're called) to balance herslf to walk and such. She is such a sweetheart, but she usually sits to the sid and watches whatever anyone is doing. But not this time... Despite the objections that she couldn't do it, Elder Dummar grabbed a chair and put it in the center of our team's playing sid, and carried her over to the chair. She kept telling him, "no, I can't, I don't know how, I can't do this", but he was determined to show her that she could. We showed her how to hold her hands, and then we would toss the ball to her to start the play. She would hit it and it would bounce behind her. If I was on my guard enough, I was able to play off of her hit. Using the all mighty and powerful team effort, we got it over the net. She was thrilled! And in fact, we were all thrilled and we all had a blast. That, plus the fact that it was a nice summer evening and I got to play with my bare feet in the grass made it pretty much a perfect evening. I loved it.

Oh! I don't remember if I have ever praised the parks here in Romani from any of my other cities (and if I haven';t, then shame on me because I love them.) The parks in Bucuresti are AMAZING!! Cismigiu (said cheeshmeejew) is a nice intimate and beautiful park with a small area with swans swimming and peacocks walking and children playing and all of the good stuff that happens in parks. It's actually known as The Romantic Park of Buc. I thought that was great, but then I went to Herestrau Park (said how it's spelled) and Wow! It is so amazing and its HUGE just like I said that pretty much everything in Buc is hughe, this park is like that. And I will never be able to describe it to you sufficiently, so I don't think I will try. Just know that it's amazing and it is really fun to go there to find people to talk to about the gospel. Good wholesome gospel discussions and a great view. What more could I ask for?

Well, I guess I could ask for a perfect temperature, for all of the mospuitoes to go away and a few other things, but I'm trying not to be too demanding.

The funny Romanianism for today is to explain the use and meaning of what we would say is "Prince Charming." The translation for this in Romanian is "Fat Frumos" (there is supposed to be a symbol above the 'a' in Fat, so it doesn't read fat like big, but read it rather as "fuht froomose" or something.) Frumos means "beautiful" and the context meaning of Fat is "youth" so it means "beautiful youth" until you take the literal translation where Fat means "fetus" in which case you are then adoring the beautiful unborn and still developing child as a soon-to-be-hero and usually "knight in shining armor".

It's funny. The thing that is amazing, though, is that the statement is not a false one whether it is in the leteral or context meanin, for we are all children of a Heavenly King, and as the scripture says, every soul is great in the eyes of God. We each have a potential that He is helping us to fulfill as we concentrate our efforts to be on the path of truth and righteousness. It is quite amazing that He loves all of us and each of us has that divine potential to be perfect and pure, even as He is - and this is possible for us through our Savior Jesus Christ. God's plan is so perfect and it brings me so much joy to know it, to live in accordance to it, and especially to share it with those who maybe don't have this hope, this knowledge, or this joy. Everyone deserves a bit of happiness, and that is the point -for us to be eternally happy with our Gad and all those whom we love. yay.

And now for the really important part - HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CHERISSE!!!! I'm sorry I didn't tell you last week when it was closer to your birthday, but I didn't forget. On your birthday I san "La Multi Ani" as I danced around my apartment, and we even ate cookies -they were leftover from something else, but still. It was a nice, modest celebration. I hope yours was better planned and just better in every way, and I can't believe thay you're 21! I bet you can't believe that either. But that's ok, I love you lots and lots and lots, and if Alley didn't make it a good day for you, just let me know and I shall lecture him later on it ;) Alley, I love you too, don't worry.

But I think I have exhausted my time and my stories, and probably your time and your eyes from reading all o fthis, but I want you all to know that I love you so, so very muchy. I hope that all is going well, and as I stated at the beginning, that you're all having a happy day. I know that I am. Keep doing great and take care--

I'll "talk" to you again next week. Love you! Always, --Sora Karina

2 comments:

  1. Hello Miss. Janae, (This is an e-mail note from Adrian)

    I got back home...
    This was an incredible day... I left to my job this morning and I was so sad, and I've talked with Karina I told her that I will get to the church as soon as possible. And then I had an idea: I text-ed to Karina that if she can, to pray so I could be soon at the church. In less then 5 min. the partner because of who I was supposed to work, called me and said to me that, is not verry important to go but, I will lose some money... I didn't cared, I just turned around the car, called Sis Hupp and Sis Karina, and went right to the Church. I just couldn't know how to thank Karina and God for that.

    It was nice at the church, what I liked most of today, was talking with the old Elders and rehearsing with the quire for the district meeting next week. Karina helped me a lot on that part, also Sis Van Horn (I'm not really sure if that's the real name because Karina always corrects me) that is a wonderful woman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The spirit Spirit of Holly Father is unimaginable, and finding the right path to him, made me happier than I've been in years. It's the first time when I started to feel that close to God. I have to thank Him for giving me a chance to be closer to Him and I have to thank Him for giving me Sis Karina.
    I tried a lot of times to imagine me talking with another missionary, but anyway I see it, and anyone I imagine trying to convince me that this is the real church, the result was the same: none. Because she believes with her hole heart and when she talks about God, she talks from her heart. That gives her patience, happiness, gracelessness and more important, belief. Because she has God on her side she's more powerful then at least half of the word. It's hard (for me at list) to believe a person that tries to "sell" me something, if that person doesn't believe in his own "product".
    I never met a person who can have an answer to all my questions because, I always based on the fact that we first have to believe in God, and by trying to "apply" to any religion, most of the time I was wrong, because I always felt like something was missing.
    The good thing is, that I was right, and the best part is that I met someone who could explain it to me and to be near me in this new journey closer to God, and making me understand what is going on in this new "world".
    I always thought that God will help me because I'm His son, and the Father will never let any child of His to get lost. You just have to know that His there and to pray to Him to help you during your life.
    It doesn't matter on what side of the Earth you were born, or what path your parents chose, or how rich or poor are you. It matters to pray to God and to believe in Him. You could do anything that you want as long as you feel, as long as you always respect your Father and respect your commandments.

    ReplyDelete